Wednesday 8 October 2014

Group - Treatment

At the beginning of the video, before the music comes on, the main focus of the narrative calls the girl he is in love with, but the call is rejected.

I'm tired of kidding myself
Another pill, no good for my health
So I sit and smoke on my own
Think about you baby, are you feeling alone?
Cause I'd die just thinking that you'd forget
But I guess you won't

Within this verse it will be predominantly narrative with little half second shots throughout of the band in close-ups. As for the narrative, the protagonist will be in his room taking a tablet, with empty pill packets left laying around on the floor. We will also have a lighter on the side and empty cigarette packets implying that he has been smoking in order to have an illustrative link between visuals and lyrics. We have decided to use predominantly handi-cam shots although we will include static shots in order to have variety in our piece.

 
I wish I cared less, but I'm afraid I don't
You couldn't care less, so I guess you won't
Change your mind again

Throughout the chorus the shots will predominantly be performance. We think a close-up on the singers face when the first line 'I wish I cared less' is spoken would be very effective before going into other band shots. This will be alternative to the first verse in which performance is the main focus and narrative will be shown in small flashes throughout.  

I can't stop dreaming of you
It does me no good and it's turning into
A splinter that I can't find under my skin
So I'll make another hole in the wall
Think about the times I didn't love you at all
Cause I just can't make myself again
So I guess I won't

When the last line of the chorus ends, it goes back to narrative in which the protagonist is leaving his house and walking down the road. Links will be made between lyrics and visuals with signifiers such as walking through a broken wooden fence (hence 'splinter').  It then alters focus to performance, showing the band performing, before returning to some form of narrative. At the end of the verse, the protagonist enters a scrap yard with a close-up shot of him throwing a cigarette on the floor.

I wish I cared less, but I'm afraid I don't
You couldn't care less, so I guess you won't
Change your mind again

Throughout this chorus an equal split of performance and narrative will be evident. Slow-motion shots of the protagonist throwing items at the wall and hitting things in the scrap yard will be shown in unison with moving shots of the band.  

I've tried to right myself
But our love came crashing down
Like a tidal wave, a tidal wave
I'm fighting with my hands
And I hope you know we're digging our own graves
For your mistakes

I wish I cared less, but I'm afraid I don't
You couldn't care less, so I guess you won't
Change your mind again

I've tried to right myself
But our love came crashing down like a tidal wave
I'm fighting with my hands
And I hope you know we're digging our own graves 

When the music ends after a brief pause, the protagonists phone rings, and it is from the girl that he has been acting recklessly over.

2 comments:

  1. ok Joe, this is a start - the pill thing will need to be an arty shot as this is a school project - do you have any examples of videos for this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant Will sorry - thinking ahead

    ReplyDelete